The West Salem State Bank was incorporated August 3, 1903 as a private corporation with George D. Sprain as President and W.I. Van Zandt as Vice President. H.C. Heider became Vice President in 1913.
The La Crosse County Bank was incorporated on August 23, 1903, with Leonard Lottridge as President and Andrew McEldowney as Vice President. W.L. Dudley became President in 1904 until 1917 when F.P. Coburn became President. L.C. Sanders was Vice President from 1904 to 1932.
The West Salem State Bank and the La Crosse County Bank merged on October 12, 1932 and became Union State Bank of West Salem with Frank J. Bolles as President and John Meyer as Vice President. In 1934 John Meyer became President until he died in 1957. Bernie A. Mau served as Vice President in 1934 until 1941 when Dr. Guy F. Wakefield became Vice President. He held this position until 1957 when he assumed the Presidency following the death of John Meyer.
When Dr. Wakefield died in 1966, Theodore F. Bolles became President and Claude E. Backus became Vice President. Mr. Bolles served as President until 1979 and thereafter continued as a Bank Director until he died in 1989 after serving over 50 years of service to Union State Bank.
L. Allan Rogge was the managing officer of the bank from 1968 to 1975, holding the title of Vice President and Cashier. Kenneth Keller served as managing officer from 1975 to 1979, holding the office of Executive Vice President during his tenure. Jerome Klos became Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1979 until his passing on November 5, 2006.Bryant Klos became Chairman of the Board of Directors on November 15, 2006 and continues to serve in that capacity.
In 1979 Donald Malmo became managing officer, serving in that capacity until his retirement early in 1995. Keith Baker succeeded Mr. Malmo on February 1, 1995 and served as President and managing officer until July 13, 2004. At that time, Diane L. Hicks succeeded Mr. Baker as President and CEO until her retirement on June 30, 2007. At that time, Steven L. Zeman succeeded Mrs. Hicks as President and continues in that capacity.
The Bank was located at 130 South Leonard Street in West Salem until the spring of 1971 when it moved to a new building at 120 South Mill Street– one block east of the old location. The bank's Union Station branch at the intersection of County Hwy. M. and US Hwy. 16 was constructed and opened on June 3, 2003.
USB Mission Statement
Union State Bank of West Salem is a community-owned bank whose mission is to provide our community with quality financial services to meet present and future personal, family and business needs. We will provide a fair return to our customers and stockholders and will be an active and stable participant in the community to ensure its continued vitality and growth.
Our directors, officers and staff are proud to help you, your family and business with all of your financial needs. All of our directors and officers live and work in our area and are active with communities we serve.
Union State Bank Directors
Steve Zeman, President; Diane Hicks, Geoffrey Klos, Bryant Klos, Chairman; Rahn Pischke, William Schomberg, Vice Chairman
Union State Bank Officers
Steve Zeman, President; Tracey Von Ruden, Loan Officer; Patricia Gjertsen, Personal Banking Officer; Chad Leis, Commercial Lender; James Anderson, Vice President; Jane R. Leis, Sr. Vice President; Lisa Peters, Operations Manager