About Us | Union State Bank
Union State Bank has been serving the financial needs of the local community since 1903.
- The West Salem State Bank was incorporated August 5, 1903 as a private corporation with George D. Sprain as President and W.I. Van Zandt as Vice President. H.C. Heider became Vice President in 1913.
- The La Crosse County Bank was incorporated on August 19, 1903, with Leonard Lottridge as President and Andrew McEldowney as Vice President. W.L. Dudley became President in 1904 until 1917 when F.P. Coburn became President. L.C. Sanders was Vice President from 1904 to 1932.
- The West Salem State Bank and the La Crosse County Bank merged on October 12, 1932 and became Union State Bank of West Salem with Frank J. Bolles as President and John Meyer as Vice President.
- On January 29, 2021, Union State Bank of West Salem amended its Article of Incorporation to become "Union State Bank".
- In 1934 John Meyer became President until he died in 1957.
- Bernie A. Mau served as Vice President in 1934 until 1941 when Dr. Guy F. Wakefield became Vice President. He held this position until 1957 when he assumed the Presidency following the death of John Meyer.
- When Dr. Wakefield died in 1966, Theodore F. Bolles became President and Claude E. Backus became Vice President.
- Mr. Bolles served as President until 1979 and thereafter continued as a Bank Director until he died in 1989 after serving over 50 years of service to Union State Bank.
- L. Allan Rogge was the managing officer of the bank from 1968 to 1975, holding the title of Vice President and Cashier.
- Kenneth Keller served as managing officer from 1975 to 1979, holding the office of Executive Vice President during his tenure.
- Jerome Klos became Chairman of the Board of Directors in 1979 until his passing on November 5, 2006.
- Bryant Klos became Chairman of the Board of Directors on November 15, 2006 and continues to serve in that capacity.
- In 1979 Donald Malmo became managing officer, serving in that capacity until his retirement early in 1995.
- Keith Baker succeeded Mr. Malmo on February 1, 1995 and served as President and managing officer until July 13, 2004.
- Diane L. Hicks succeeded Mr. Baker as President and CEO until her retirement on June 30, 2007.
- Steven L. Zeman succeeded Mrs. Hicks as President until his retirement on October 30, 2020.
- Jane R. Leis succeeded Mr. Zeman as CEO and James Anderson succeeded Mr. Zeman as President and they continue in that capacity.
The Bank was located at 130 South Leonard Street in West Salem until the spring of 1971 when it moved to a new building at 120 South Mill Street– one block east of the old location. The bank's Union Station branch at the intersection of County Hwy. M. and US Hwy. 16 was constructed and opened on June 3, 2003.
Join Our Team
Interested in Joining our Team?
From time to time, we have employment opportunities. We appreciate your interest.
We’re Here to Serve You
For 120 years Union State Bank has provided our customers and community with quality financial services. Union State Bank has two Branch locations in West Salem and a Loan Production Office in Black River Falls. Give us a call or stop into one of our locations.
Internet Explorer 11 is outdated. For improved security and optimized performance we highly recommend upgrading your browser. ChromeFirefoxEdge